What is Eagles In The City?
Every winter from November to February literally thousands of Bald Eagles arrive to migrate on the West Coast of British Columbia to feast on Salmon on the banks of our rivers and tributaries. The Bald Eagle makes a statement of strength, striking appearance, grace and personifies freedom.
With this in mind the Bald Eagle will now migrate onto the streets of Vancouver, Vancouver Island and beyond to complete the trilogy of public arts projects by the BC Lions Society. The first being the Orca coming out of the Pacific Ocean, then the Spirit Bear coming out of the forests of Northern BC and now the Bald Eagle soaring through the skies of the West Coast from April 2009 to April 2010 in support of the BC Lions Society’s Easter Seal Services.
Here's how it works...
Local artists, in partnership with sponsoring individuals or organizations, will create a unique design and apply it to the surface of a 7 ½ foot custom formed fibreglass Bald Eagle. The Bald Eagle becomes the artist's canvas. Once the work is complete, the Bald Eagle will be displayed in prominent public spaces around the participating cities. A ‘Bald Eagle Flight Path Map' will be created and distributed throughout participating communities showing the location, sponsor and artist of every bald eagle.
'Eagles In The City' is modeled after other successful community art projects, such as Chicago's 'Cows on Parade', Toronto's 'Moose in the City', the BC Lions Society’s 'Orcas In The City' in Vancouver and Victoria and most recently their ‘Spirit Bears In The City’.
The goals of 'Eagles In The City' are very simple:
- To create an event that provides maximum exposure to sponsoring organizations, artists and the recipient charity
- To invite tourists from around the world to visit our province and share in our culture
- To produce an event that encourages the 'Arts', local businesses and individuals to come together in a spirit of community fundraising, benefiting the important work of the BC Lions Society's Easter Seal Services.
- To generate artistic creativity and showcase BC artists
- To celebrate the cultural diversity of our province and promote civic pride
- To capture the imagination of children, adults, and tourists alike
- To raise much needed funds to provide Easter Seal Services to children with disabilities
To introduce this exhibit we will be holding exciting kick-off events in participating cities, where the finished Eagles will be presented to the media, the public, invited guests and public officials.
The exhibit will end with the great ‘Eagle Gala and Auction’, where the Eagle will be put on the block and auctioned to the highest bidder. A select number of Eagles will be auctioned live while the remaining Eagles will be auctioned online. Eagle auction proceeds will benefit the BC Lions Society’s Easter Seal Services.